Tips for healthy living
Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Try to eat a colorful variety of five fruits and vegetables each day
Make at least half your grains whole.
- Pick 100% whole grain breads, cereals, pasta, and snacks.
Switch to fat-free or low-fat milk, cheeses, and yogurts.
- It has the same needed nutrients (like calcium) as whole milk, but with less fat and calories.
Eat more meals at home.
- In place of take out, spend family time making a healthy meal.
Make some foods occasional foods and not every day foods.
- Like hot dogs, pizza, cheese, sausages, and desserts. These items are high in sodium, sugar, and fat.
Limit the amount of sugary drinks.
- Drink water or 100% fruit juices instead of fruit-flavored drinks.
Choose non-food rewards.
- In place of a food reward, read an extra bed-time story to your child, or plan a special trip to the park or museum.
Get up and move for at least 60 minutes.
- Find activities that you enjoy doing and fit them in every day.
Minimize screen time to less than two hours a day.
- This includes TV, computers, smart phones, tablets, and video games.