The Centre Walking and Running Track
A three-lane, one-eighth-mile suspended track for walking or running is available for use, at no cost, during The Centre’s operating hours.
Walking and Running Track Guidelines
- All track users must sign in and out.
- Gym-Shoes only…dry & clean!
- Walking 3-4 wide is not permitted.
- Children 8-14 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- No children under 8 allowed unless during Family Day times.
- No cell phone usage while walking/jogging/running.
- No organized track usage: practices, meets, timed running, etc.
- No skates/rollerblades, skateboards or wheelies.
- No throwing of objects on the track or onto the gym floor.
- No spitting on the track or in the drinking fountains.
- No beverages of any kind allowed on the track.
- Do not stop or stand on the track.
- The track is not a viewing area for the gymnasium.
- Avoid collisions by being aware of your surroundings.
- Walkers & joggers yield to runners.
- Children cannot be left alone in the seating area nor the hallway adjacent to the track.
- Do not leave children unattended in the stretching/waiting area.
Family Day at the Track
Sunday 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Monday – Friday 9:30 am – 10:30 am
Children 0 through 3 years old must be in a stroller accompanied by a parent when walking on the track. NOTE: Strollers must use the inside lane only and remain single file when walking.
Children 4 through 14 years old can walk the track on Family Days but must remain with their parent at all times.
This is a year long program for adults, 18 and older, where you can track the miles you walk on the track to potentially win a tee shirt. Register for free at the Fitness Desk.
New and Improved Mileage Tracking
Walking Club participants will log mileage on a monthly calendar. Pick up your personal calendar at the desk outside the walking track entrance. Keep your calendar until the end of each month, at which time you can turn it in to the Fitness Desk. Miles will be logged and tallied by the Fitness Staff. Total mileage will be posted for the top five registered participants at the end of the year. Each of the winners will receive a Centre of Elgin Walking Club t-shirt.